Educational Partnerships & Continuous Improvement
EL Best Practices Training for Paraprofessionals
Wednesday, September 25, 2019
As your responsibilities as a paraprofessional increase, do you feel prepared to work with the students you serve? Demographics of students across the state are changing and more often, the students we work with have a multilingual background. Students who have more than one language are truly an asset to our communities, but they need extra language support to be truly successful in the classroom. Join us to enhance your understanding of English language learners and leave with strategies you can use to increase their academic success.
• Investigate social and academic language.
• Identify the different language modalities or ways students use language.
• Consider student proficiency levels and what they mean.
• Explore CAN DO descriptors for ELs.
• View the elements of SIOP® and how they apply to support staff.
• Learn specific strategies to support ELs as a paraprofessional.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, when special accommodations are needed, contact Angela Skrade at 612.638.1528 or email@example.com at least two (2) weeks before the event date. Special accommodation cancellation notices are accepted no later than two (2) business days before the event date. Cancellations after the deadline will be billed for special accommodations fees.