Regional Math Coach
The Regional Math Coach will support implementation of mathematical mindsets in schools requesting coaching and training support. The regional math coach must have the ability to support teachers, instructional coaches, interventionists, and administrators in planning, organizing, and delivering instruction to meet individual and school needs. Support will be both in person and virtual (synchronous and asynchronous). The regional math coach will also be responsible for developing and delivering professional learning opportunities as it relates to school needs in evidence-based mathematical practices. This position is contingent upon legislative funding.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Familiarize teachers and administration with the research on mathematical mindsets.
- Impart knowledge of the MN mathematics standards in each grade level.
- Know and support teachers and administration in alignment of curriculum, standards, statewide initiatives, instruction, and assessment.
- Understand and support learning for multilingual learners and students receiving special education services.
- Provide teachers with a collection of effective instructional strategies to draw upon in their instructional practices.
- Utilize state-wide COMPASS pedagogical and training supports in coaching.
- Support data collection and analysis to ensure data is being used effectively to inform instruction to support student growth and achievement.
- Work with administrators to create a school-wide focus on goals for mathematics achievement.
- Understand adult learning and create a collaborative partnership with teachers to support the implementation of new teaching practices in the classroom.
- Facilitate meetings for professional learning on instructional practices, data support, classroom environments, or mathematics research needed to support ongoing development of teachers.
- Complete observation and feedback cycles at least monthly to support teacher goal setting and implementation of new practices.
- Participate fully in professional development opportunities and professional research and reading.
- Attend all professional learning offered by COMPASS.
- Regularly communicate with school administrators, reading specialists, colleagues, and experts in order to keep well-informed of current and developing research.
- Work collectively with peers and MN Department of Education in reflecting on personal learning and how that learning supports student achievement and growth of students.
- Participate in communities of practice with colleagues to deepen coaching understanding.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Experience within a K-12 education setting
- Thorough understanding of pedagogy and best practices within education
- Proficient in the use of G-Suite applications and online learning platforms
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Creative analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently; individually and as a team member
- Ability to assume responsibility, be well organized, execute initiatives from directives and approved self-initiatives
- Ability to build open, honest and trustworthy relationships with people of various personality styles and behaviors – internally and externally
- Ability to function cooperatively as a member of the Resource team
- Ability to conduct oneself in a professional and customer service-based manner at all times
- Proficiency in adapting to new software and digital tools
- Experience with group facilitation
- Ability to adapt to and work with a variety of school contexts
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field
- Current Minnesota teaching license
- Minimum of five years of teaching experience
- Valid MN Driver’s License
Preferred Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in related education field (curriculum and instruction, etc.)
- Mathematics teaching license
- Instructional coach experience
Environment & Physical Demands
This job operates in a hybrid office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, and filing cabinets. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some office organization and event set-up/tear-down is required. This would require the ability to move and lift 30 lbs., stand for extended periods of time and carry items a short distance as necessary.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time, 12-month position. Hours of work are generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but occasional evening events and travel within the region is expected.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary and benefits package.
Send resume, cover letter, and three letters of recommendation to Michelle Wang, Education Director, email@example.com. Applications accepted through June 15, 2023.